If you’re annoyed by the fact that Tumblr new post notices (the red number by the house icon, which also shows up in the page title) are now appearing on other pages other than the main dashboard — such as your blog page, public tag pages, or other dashboard pages (if you’ve disabled endless scrolling) — well, this little script fixes it. It also has the benefit of changing the page title for those secondary pages, so you can more easily distinguish your tabs.
The script in action:
See, no (4) by the little house or in the title of any page besides the main dashboard. :)
You can download it here, hope you like!
so tumblr replaced the word reblogged with the reblog icon
this is the change we were looking for tumblr
#1 site in making changes no one wants/asked for and eliminating the ones we do
Expect this image a lot from now on.
Yes, this so much.
I always refuse to reblog them.
you know that means I think you died, right?
To all the women of the world,
If you’ve rejected me, I hate you. If we’re just friends, our friendship is over. If we don’t know each other, I will never offer you mere friendship. The friendship I’ve offered to your sex has been abused too much and for too long. I now spit at the concept. So I offer you two options and two options only: take this dick, or fuck off and die. Spread your legs, or go fall on a knife. Wet my prick, or eat a fucking bullet. In other words, if you don’t want to fuck me, then stay out of my life forever. If you don’t want to fuck me, I honestly couldn’t care less if you died. Those are the only options you get. Those are the only options you deserve.
tumblr user jtravisrolko sighs, leaning back in his chair with a huff of satisfaction. His ego and chest have both swelled, and he jerks forward again, rereading the heartfelt, offensive blog post he’s just written. He taps his fingers excitedly across the keys, just light enough to graze over the letters. He licks his lips, savoring every misogynistic intonation in his venomous words. He is the epitome of badass.
The hot air finally rises to his head, steam flushing his face from the inside, and he releases the prideful pressure in a fit of laughter. How arrogant! How raw, how powerful! How beautiful the words he’s written are!
His excitement does not die down, nearly to his surprise. He continues to laugh and laugh, his voice reaching a crescendo now. Tears begin to spill from his eyes, his vocal chords rawly scraping together. He becomes vaguely aware that his throat is in horrible pain, but he is too excited to stop his celebration.
Drool is pouring from his open jaw, and he is subconsciously gargling the spittle in the back of his throat. There is saliva coating his computer monitor from his raucous laughter. Still shrieking with vindictive glee, tumblr user jtravisrolko hurriedly turns on Ke$ha’s hit single We R Who We R before lurching forward onto the floor and both convulsing and dancing simultaneously on his hands and feet.
You know, as much as this post gets a lot right (Tumblr does a piss poor job from what I’ve heard with dealing with hate speech situations, and that is unacceptable), but I’m also really…perplexed by people’s expectation of the Compassionate CEO™. Didn’t the Missing E thing show that this guy gives 0 fucks? I didn’t have to see that “nigga post” he made to get the impression that he rly doesn’t care, and I hate to sound all nihilist but until something drastic happens I really don’t know how much he’d care about a couple thousand (understandably) angry users reblogging a post and possibly leaving tumblr when they don’t even pay for tumblr’s services. I’m not saying that he doesn’t owe anything to those couple thousand people but lbr.
Like, I’m not giving Karp’s sorry ass a break by any means, but I’m also like…they hardly care about basic functionality? I don’t exactly have high hopes for them to pay attention to marginalized groups who use their free, ad-less micro-blogging services. I’m too exhausted to get worked up over some white dude’s ceo’s fuckery today. Y’all have at it but prepared for disappointment.
last updated: 7 March 2012
Here are some useful extensions, scripts, and tutorials for Tumblr. Scripts require a simple, one click install for Google Chrome. Firefox users may need to download Greasemonkey first before installing scripts.
As far as I know, these scripts/extensions can work together.
I’ll add more links as I think of them, and feel free to share your own tips or resources.
- Missing E - Probably the most popular Tumblr extension. Features: one click reblog/queue/drafts, automatically clears all tags when reblogging, adds tags to ask/reply, allows one click reply to comments, shuffle queue, adds timestamp to posts on your dashboard, replaces text (reblog, notes) with picture icons, reblog asks, and more. Downside: Tumblr apparently hates Missing E, and will try to scare you into disabling it.
- Xkit - Similar to Missing E. Some additional features: Unfollower check, shortens long posts on dashboard, highlight key terms in posts, download mp3 from audio posts.
- Tumblr Savior - Blacklist tags that you do not want to see on your dashboard. Downside: Not everyone tags.
Some selections from a larger collection of scripts (please note that I don’t use all of these, so I don’t know which ones still work):
- Tumblr Life - Quick links to sort your dashboard by content (photos, text, quotes, video, etc), adds keyboard shortcuts.
- Tumblr Hate - Do you keep seeing the same post reblogged in your dashboard? This script lets you “hate” that post so you won’t see it again.
- Tumblr Helper - Create post templates with common settings, add personal notes to users on your dashboard
- Tumtaster - download mp3s from tumblr
- Notification eraser - Maybe you have one post that keeps getting a ton of notes and you want the notifications to stop showing up in your dash.
- Tumblr Stats - hover over an avatar to see a user’s stats
- Block posts by source - self-explanatory
- Don’t Ask - gets rid of ask posts on your dashboard
- Make avatars bigger on your dashboard
- Unfollower check
- Edit tags from your dash
- Tumblr Settings - Change URL, ask and submit options, enable replies, time zone settings.
- Tumblr Preferences - Dashboard preferences, email address and password reset.
- Tumblr bookmarklet
- Tumblr Mega-Editor - mass edit your posts
- Use old customize theme page
- http://www.tumblr.com/show/photos (replace photos with other types of posts to filter your dash)
- How to reblog by post type (reblog a post as text, link, etc)
- Use “read more”
- Tumblr Backup Application (for Mac)
- Best of your tumblr - find your most popular posts
- Tumblr Stats - tells you about your tumblr
- Tumblr Tags - view all your tags
- Disqus - add comments section to your tumblr
- Trntbl - listen to all the music/audio posts on a tumblr
- Make a word cloudTumblr theme cutomization:
- Make a blogroll
- Theme recovery
- Combine ask and submit box
- How to add text to your ask page
- More tumblr resources: tumblring.net - academyoftumblr - tutorialsandmore
- Google Analytics
- Revolver Map
- Users online
- Flag counter
- Followers counter
- Know Anon - if you are getting harassed by anons, you can use this to find out their identity
Missing e version 2.3.9
The last couple days have seen too many updates, but I seem to get really uncomfortable sitting on new features and fixes without releasing them to you as soon as they are done.
In this new version, I’ve fixed a couple of problems with how Missing e handles Fan Mail. First, the entry screen for Fan Mail replies will now close properly. Secondly, an issue with mass deletion of Fan Mail for people who run multiple blogs on one account has been fixed.
Lastly, I’ve added a new option under the Ask Tweaks feature that will will make the Fan Mail entry screen and Fan Mail messages in your inbox slimmer, taking up less of your screen with smaller fonts and less white space. It is not turned on by default, so you’ll have to go to the Missing e settings page (find out how to get there) to change it.
If you want the new version immediately, DO NOT uninstall and reinstall Missing e, instead, read the instructions on how to update:
Firefox users: Until the new version of the extension is reviewed by the Mozilla Add-Ons site, you can update just by installing the new version over top of your existing one from the versions page.
If version 2.3.9 or higher does not appear in the list, you can wait until later, or use this direct link to install.
Download Missing e at missinge.infraware.ca
If you enjoy this extension, please consider donating to support future development.
Hey Karp, this already happened, suck it
- when you accidentally follow/unfollow someone
- hitting publish instead of answer privately
- following someone and then regretting it
- when you consider someone your close tumblr friend but they don’t
- fangirling over someone following you and then they unfollow a few days later
- wanting to unfollow someone you don’t feel like you really can unfollow
- getting no notes on stuff you worked hard on, and getting tons on stuff you made in five minutes
- having to constantly wonder if someone received your ask or if they’re just ignoring you
- asking for messages but not getting any
- oh man
- tumblr is like a social piranha
- deciding not to post/reblog something in fear of looking too nerdy or alienating your followers (because i only like to post things that i think we have in common dammit!!!!)
no you cant talk to your friends, why would you use our website for that, hahahaha: the david karp story
“error” they said
“we’re sorry” they said
“what are you doing with that chainsaw” they said